Wednesday, March 17, 2010

For those who don't know, I just found out that the Joshing Gnome is posting again. Good to see him back, and with posts like this or this I look forward to more. And of course I immediately tried to figure out where the cityscape in his header was taken (Bucheon, from a helicopter over Suncheonhyang Hospital looking northeast circa 2004 would be my guess (pre-We've The State at any rate)).

Also nice to see Asadal Thought back after a hiatus, posting about the 'race of singles' and (a month ago) a tribute to the monk Beop Jeong who died last week, who I didn't know a lot about; in the comments a link to this translation of some of his sayings was left, which I enjoyed. His new Korean Football Blog is worth reading as well.

Also, (a bit late to the party - sorry) ZenKimchi’s March Madness is a fun way to spend a few minutes by voting on your favorite Korean foods from different regions, playoff style:
Korean foods from different regions compete for fame and glory on the international stage. Which cuisine will reign supreme?

Here’s how it works.

It all starts at midnight Seoul Time on March 14th. Every day pairs of foods from the regions of Seoul-Gyeonggi, Northern, Southern and Central will vie for your votes. Each region has sixteen foods. The winners of each region will square off in the semi-finals and finals. By the end of March, we will award a lucky Korean food the title of 2010 World Champion.
The results are interesting. I mean, saengseon gui (생선구이) is beating jjim dalk (찜닭)? Jeyuk bokkeum (제육볶음) is beating yukhoe (육회)? Say it ain't so! At least dalkgalbi (닭갈비) is beating kalguksu (칼국수) ....

2 comments:

kushibo said...

I voted for 생선구이 over 찜닭. I will travel many kms to get good 생선구이.

matt said...

I traveled to Andong for the 찜닭. Not that I don't like 생선구이, it's just that I love 찜닭. In the fish department, Andong is also great for 간고등어. Yum.